For you created me in my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
-Psalm 139.13
Kristin gave Shannon and I a journal that tracks what's going on with the baby while it is in your womb. We were behind a few days, so we read 4 day's worth of entries. Here's what struck me as crazy today...
The spleen is beginning to develop...the pituitary gland is forming in the baby's brain...pigment is beginning to form in the retina of the eye...the "lower limb paddles" will develop into foot plates in four days...the windpipe and voice box are beginning to form...and the baby now measures .3-.43 inch in length.
I read this tonight and was amazed, but it did not sink in until we prayed together tonight. As I was praying, my mind recalled David's words in Psalm 139. No, God does not have literal fingers, but think about this. God almighty, who created the universe, transcends time and space and is everywhere all of the time, is currently forming pigment in the retina of my baby's eyes, developing its windpipe and voice box and turning its paddles into foot plates, all while the baby is less than a half of an inch long. God is dealing with the problems of our earth, like hunger and AIDS, is holding all things together everywhere, and has the time, the love and the grace to form my baby in my wife's womb.
The personal nature of God's love and concern for us is overwhelming, which is the point of Psalm 139. As I go to sleep tonight, I will rest easy as my mind is speculating and my heart is celebrating the nearness of God.
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I loved reading how the intestines are being formed in the embilical cord and will not move into the babies body until it is big enough.
Post a Comment