I am still in shock that I am going to be a dad. It's an amazing thing. Life is going to change more than I could have ever planned, but it is a welcomed change.
I am reading a few things right now in regards to parenting and fatherhood. It's a crash course to be sure. I would love it if, those that are fathers out there, would share your wisdom with me because I am going to need a lot of it.
With love,
Brandon.
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Use Love to nudge your children in the direction you think is best for them. Do not set unattainable expections for them, allow them to be children and enjoy life but guide them by example.
Brandon,
It's been a while...and I wasn't going to write anything, but I keep thinking about your request. So, here goes something...I hope.
What I know is this: You can't do it alone. You need a body. You need other brothers and fathers in Christ who are already there or who have already been there. Listen, watch, and dialog with them.
Remember that children are a blessing from the Lord (Psalm 127)...and that's not just because they're cute and cudly. They and your wife (due to having children), will reveal more and more and more of your sin...the sin that isn't currently known to you or to others. The sin that, if it remained dormant, would allow you and others to continue to believe that you are a nice, conservative, moralistic, pretty cool dude.
I believe that this is why children are a blessing, they sanctify us...save us. Salvation comes through child-bearing. I know...there's lots there, but I don't believe that passage is disconnected from the point herein. Chew on it some...I still am.
Back to the body: It's important to be a part of a body for your wife and your children for the same reasons that it is important for you. We're all just a bunch of limbs and ears and numerous individual body parts. I don't believe, nor do I believe that Paul believed, that we can discern Jesus Christ more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, apart from a true and real body of believers; A body that is unified in more than mere doctrinal statements.
Know that you are going to be a horrible father. Yep. Probably the worst...that you have known or will ever know. You will suck eggs at it, just like you sucked and probably suck at being a husband, but this time as a father and with a little person who can neither defend nor lay down his/her own life when you are sinning against them. It's sobering, yes. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness!
May Jesus Christ dawn upon you and yours at every step and in every trial. Congratulations to you and your bride! Please come see us when you are next in town.
Sam
Post a Comment