The Lord has sure been preparing me for parenting for quite some time. I have been reading book after book on the topic and as the last set of friends to have kids I have been surrounded by those that have gone before me. I have had many models and I am so thankful that I have friends who have modeled the parenting we want to enforce. All of there children are well behaved and love their parents. I follow closely the ministry from Mike and Debbie Peal, they have a website call NoGreaterJoy.org. They have produced the best marriage book I have read and some of the best parenting books. The parenting books are very small but give great practical advice on how to train your children. I also will be using babywise when out new little one gets home. It puts the baby on a schedule which should produce a baby that sleeps throughout the night at 6 weeks along with some other great scheduling discipline. My sister asked me the other day what is something I am most excited about when the baby comes home. Beside holding my little baby I am so excited to train and discipline so my child will grow up to be a disciplined person, will love us and love the Lord. So much work to do and I know it will be hard but it will be worth it!
p.s. if anyone happens to visit nogreaterjoy.org please know that some things said need to be taken with a grain of salt. you will not agree with all things said and some things will just need to go in one ear and out the other. But many of their practices I have been in action and I have the wonderful result in the children.
Saturday, January 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I recommend doing more research about Babywise before implementing it with your newborn, especially if you are planning on breastfeeding. I recommend starting with http://www.ezzo.info . Grace and peace,
who are you?
hi guys... i just wanted to encourage you with babywise. you will hear a lot of critics about dr. ezzo and his books. but i have read and used most all of them, and i also nursed both the girls for a year each. i have no complaints with how they ate or slept! some of my favorite parenting advice is to give yourself permission to trust your instinct above the "experts" or your friends, family, etc. you certainly need to be educated, but a lot of your parenting will come from what you inherently sense you child needs. only a mother knows when the cry sounds different, and that something just isn't right. only you can make that judement. dr. ezzo (author of babywise, toddler wise, preschool wise, etc.) says that as well. he offers a lot of wisdom, and i used mostly all of it! but, my favorite part was when he said that nobody (on this earth) knew better than mom, so trust your gut when you are making those decisions. (note, i said trust your gut instinct, not necessarily your emotions!) :) those two are very different, especially when you are hormonal! love you both, and i am so excited for you to take this journey... you really have no idea until you go through it. it is amazing. hope this helps, at least a little! lara
I have seen babywise work again and again and I am confident at this point that this will be the method we will be using.
I'm a mom who likes to encourage other mothers. *grin* We have four boys, two of whom we babywised, two we didn't. I had a couple of friends (and our church) recommend the Ezzo materials. (Btw, Lara, Gary Ezzo isn't a doctor. . .)
I've known a lot of families who have used these materials, and intially thought they were "working." Even for the first few years. And then later, realize that growth or breastfeeding or developmental problems were linked to these ideas.
What God has let us discover about infant growth and development and breastfeeding, goes contrary to the teachings in Babywise. While Lara's and other babies may have "fit" with the BW routine, many, many others do not. I am sure you agree that it is the parents' responsibility to learn all they can and parent with care and wisdom . *hug* I'm just encouraging you to do more research so that you can modify BW to fit your individual child and recognize early on if/when it isn't "working" for you.
Again, check out Ezzo.Info--especially "Voices of Experience." You may also be interested in the discussion board at www.awareparent.net.
Grace and peace,
I appreciate your thoughts. I haven't been able to find the website you're referring to, though. I have tried to go to it numerous times, but it brings me to an unsold domain. Can you check again so I can see what you're talking about?
I would love to see scientific research regarding how the kids are affected by the BW method as they grow older. I'm just getting started with research regarding this stuff (obviously, Shannon's been reading about it far longer than I have), so I'd like to check that out. Like Shann said, we're fairly confident that that's what we're going to do. But we've got 8 months to be sure.
Thanks again.
b.
hi guys... just wanted to note that ezzo is not a doctor (i stand corrected) but "Gary Ezzo and Anne Marie Ezzo have authored twenty-two books on child-rearing (from infancy to teen parenting), and produced eight educational video series utilized by more than twelve thousand churches. With their books translated into eighteen languages, more than eight million parents around the world are the benefactors of the Ezzo's values-based parenting philosophy." thought that might help. also, if you want info. that refutes his claims and philosophies, you can go to www.nospank.net/ezzo4.htm. interesting. tulip lady basically said the same thing, you have to discern what your child needs, ezzo emphasizes that. routine feedings are not a new idea. it has been practiced for centuries. ezzo (and the *doctor* that writes the book with ezzo) have come up with a program that allows you to parent apart from the rigidity of the clock or the demands of a child (which may demand food too often, or not often enough.) another link that you might find interesting is http://www.amazon.com/Help-for-de-Ezzoing/lm/21GP5N0WNTJYI
i love you both, and i love my niece or nephew already! annalee keeps praying for the babies in her auntie's tummies. (all of annalee's married aunts are prego right now! both my sisters and you... just not carlie. phew.) love you guys, lara
oh, and "hug."
Post a Comment